Google seems to have built the OnHub in response to the Amazon Echo, but has taken this product above and beyond what Amazon did with theirs. Just look at all the advertised features it has:
- WiFi Router. 1x WAN, 1x LAN, 1x USB 3.0; 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 1×1
- Prioritize devices. Wave Control allows you to boost the Wi-Fi speed for a particular device for when the activities that matter most.
- Guest Network & Device Control.
- Smart Device Hub. OnHub is designed to support a growing number of “smart devices” over time because it includes Bluetooth Smart Ready, 802.15.4 and Weave
- Control from Anywhere. Use the Google On app to troubleshoot your wireless connection at home or away.
- Can run its own speed test. Easily test the speed of your connection for hiccups, and the app gives you simple ways to get back to peak performance.
One feature that it seems to be missing is a speaker to stream music. It seems like such a basic feature and would have helped it compete with the Echo a little more. Our guess is that version 2 will have this feature.
Also true to Google’s history, they have partnered with outside hardware makers to build this. They have two versions, the Asus the TP-Link. The TP-Link version has the most color options (blue or black) and also has after-market accessories, such as outside “shells” for decor-matching.
See larger image